Star Trek: Voyager Adds To The Star Trek Phenomenon
- Star Trek: Voyager is the only television show in TV Guide history
to be featured on the cover of the publication three months before its
- Star Trek is seen in over 100 countries, and has been translated
into dozens of languages.
- Thirteen Star Trek books are sold every minute in the United
- Over 63 million Star Trek books are in print, and have been
translated into more than 15 languages, including Chinese, Norwegian, Hungarian
- Since July 1986, every new classic Star Trek novel published by Pocket
Books has been a New York Times paperback best-seller. To date, the novels have
sold close to 30 million copies, making it the best-selling series in
- In addition to the novels, a variety of Star Trek books, including
biographies and technical manuals, have landed on national best-seller lists
more than 40 times.
- The seven "Star Trek" films have earned over $800 million in box office
grosses and video rentals.
- Star Trek conventions are held every weekend of every year, in at
least four different U.S. cities, attracting over 300,000 fans and an estimated
one million fans worldwide.
- "Trekkies," now called "Trekkers," are the only fans listed by name in the
Oxford English Dictionary.
- The U.S. space shuttle, the "Enterprise," was given its name after NASA
received 400,000 requests from Star Trek fans.
- A 1993 study from Purdue University found that children learn more about
science fiction from Star Trek than anything else outside the home.
- With the premiere of Star Trek: Voyager, there are more than 360
hours of original Star Trek programming, including classic Star
Trek, the eight feature films, Star Trek: The Next Generation and
Star Trek: Deep Space Nine. A person could watch Star Trek
programming eight hours a day, seven days a week for more than six weeks before
running out of original material.
- Star Trek products have elicited more than $750 million in retail
sales in the past five years.
This page downloaded on Monday, 22-Oct-2018 19:50:13 GMT
Last modified on Sunday, 12-Sep-2010 23:22:16 CDT.